"Quote" option seems to have no effect when double quote (") is used

I’ve noticed something strange. I’m not sure if this is a bug, or if I’m misunderstanding something.

In my experience, when a schema’s Format is set to Custom (as opposed to CSV, JSON, or something else), and the Quote field is set to the double quote character ("), double quotes don’t actually appear in the output data. However, if a single quote character is used ('), all values are surrounded by single quotes.

Is this a bug, or am I misunderstanding what the Quote field is for? Thanks!

I’m experiencing the same issue :slightly_frowning_face:.

Thanks for sharing that, @jeffm. It’s helpful to know that I’m not the only one seeing this. I’ve reported this to Mockaroo support. I’ll update this thread when it’s fixed.

I think it’s just a bug in the preview. When you actually download the raw data, Mockaroo does surround every value in the delimiter you specify, and will properly escape the delimiter by doubling it. So for example, if you use a single quote New Year's would be output as 'New Year''s'.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I’m not actually seeing double quotes in the downloaded data when the value of Quote is ". Single quotes work, though.

Mark (support? developer?) has let me know that this has been fixed. Quotes can now be forced around all values, including values that do not themselves contain quotes, by using the force quotes option.