Are generated email addresses real ones?

Your tool is awesome!! If we are generating random emails from your website then all those emails will be existing/valid emails?

In case we want to demo something to our client then we have to take care that our demo’s email should not be sent to real user. Please revert.

The Email Address field generates emails for real domains, so it is entirely possible that some of the generated email addresses will correspond to real users. The only way to prevent this is by changing the domain to one that is known not to exist, or to define your own email address scheme using a Formula field.

One way to alter an email address to ensure it isn’t real is to add ‘.fake’ as the top level domain. You can paste the following into the f(x) dialog on any Email Address field to achieve this:

this.gsub(/\.([\w]+)$/, ".\\1.fake")

I’ll likely make this an option on the email address field itself in the near future.

2 Likes

Thank you for formula. I have tried it and got email addresses like “cwrighta@exblog.`.fake”. This is not a valid text for email address.

I think regular expression which you provided should be slightly different.

Ugh, it looks like the forum software is reformatting the formula expression. Here’s a link to a working version of this in mockaroo while I figure out how to actually post this using the forum’s markdown syntax:

Perfact, Thanks !

Pasting here again, just for reference: this.gsub(/.([\w]+)$/, ‘.\\1.fake’)

Your opinions are very helpful for me. Thanks for sharing it.